Burton’s Calverley New Town, Tunbridge Wells
Time & Location
About the Event
Decimus Burton laid out the development plans for John Ward’s 56 acre estate in Tunbridge Wells in 1828, so that its residents could enjoy the same benefits as those who lived in the more famous Pantiles area of the town. In time, the development was to include Calverley Parade, Calverley Terrace, Calverley Park Crescent (with its 17 shops and residences above, including a Library and Royal Baths), Calverley Park Villas and Calverley Hotel in their idyllic park setting, Calverley Place, Calverley Cottages and the Victoria National School. The importance of the development to Burton’s career, and indeed the town’s history, cannot be stressed enough. Even at the time, it attracted sufficient attention to warrant Princess Victoria and her mother, The Duchess of Kent, attending the ceremony of the laying of the first stone at the school, of which Victoria was a patron and donor.
Dr Whitbourn is an acknowledged authority on the works of Decimus Burton. He has held the posts of Chief Architect at English Heritage and Secretary to the International Council on Monuments and Sites, and in 1981, he co-operated with Philip Miller to stage the centenary exhibition of Decimus Burton’s death. He is the President and a founding member of The Decimus Burton Society.