The Wellington Arch, Hyde Park
Time & Location
About the event
In 1824, the Office of Woods and Forests commissioned Decimus Burton to design new railings and gateways for the royal parks. Burton originally produced a modest gateway into Green Park and a longer screen entrance to Hyde Park, facing it over the road at Hyde Park Corner. The ‘Green Park Arch’ design was re-designed as a triumphal arch, as it was considered that this would be more respectful to George IV, since it would form an outer entrance to Buckingham Palace which was being remodelled by John Nash for the king. It was later dismantled in 1883 and relocated to its present site.
In 1999, The Wellington Arch was transferred to English Heritage. Major refurbishment and repairs were carried out and it was re-opened in 2001.
Steven Brindle is an English Heritage historian and co-author of their guide to The Wellington Arch and other London memorials.